Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Adventures from December through February... Part 1

  It has been over a month since my last post, so I think it is time for another picture update. :) This will be part one,with part two following soon, I hope... Hopefully before the baptism and graduation, as those events will call for another post... :)
  The first event I will tell you about occurred back in the first part of December, shortly before Raquel left here for America. The Steck's and we, their extended "family," and Tharamu Elizabeth and her daughter Rabekah (some volunteers who were here for a couple months) took a day trip to some view points and waterfalls.   





We hiked up to this view point. Let me tell you, they have some steep hikes around here! I wasn't sure I could make it, but I did. :)  This is a picture of Raquel and Hannah Powell and the beautiful view.

Raquel, doing the same thing that I was. ;)

The younger monkeys of the trip, minus me. From left to right:  Rabekah, Sharon, Landon, Hannah Steck, Hannah Powell.



A waterfall we stopped to climb on. We climbed to the top, then went exploring up other waterfalls above this one. It was lots of fun, except when I jumped and slipped on the wet rocks, falling down on my back. Thankfully, I wasn't hurt too badly. :)

The view from the highest view point. This one wasn't very far off of the road.

Look what we found at this view point! A big pile of gravel with a monkey on top! (Just kidding about the monkey.) ;) Hehe  We had fun climbing up and down on this, getting very dirty, as some of us were still a little wet from the waterfall.

I don't remember where exactly I took this picture... But it turned out nicely after a little editing! :)


This is the waterfall that the students love to slide down. We didn't enjoy that pleasure, due to our coldness and lack of energy after a full day.

Friends. :)  Sharon and Raquel.


On December 8, I believe, we all piled into the car for Raquel's last drive from Sunshine Orchard to Mae Sot. It was a sad time as we drove those 2 1/2 hours. We were all crying as we hugged our dear friend and adopted family member and watched her disappear into the airport. We will never forget the special blessing God gave us in knowing Raquel! 

During this last school term, they have separated the students into units, each with a student monitor and assistant. This helps to keep track of everyone, making sure they come to worships, etc. The monitors and assistants are some of the more responsible students from grades 6-10. Towards the end of January, we went on a monitor picnic with the monitors and deans and whatever staff wished to go. We went to a sandy beach by the river not far too far from the school. This is a picture of all the dorm staff. From back left: Tharamu Wah Nay Paw (the girl's dean), Tharamu Ida (the girl's assistant dean), Kul Wel, Kay Sah Gee, Naw Nu Nu, Eh Do Mu, Naw Paw Bo, K'Nyaw Paw, Eh G'Lu, Saw Nay So, Maung Su Bar (pronouced "Maw Sue Baw'), Sa Sa Win (pr. "Saw Saw Way"), Jaw Ngae Baw (that middle one is hard... It is a sound we don't have in English. It is basically pronounced the way it looks though.), Saw Po Eh, Thara Nay Kaw Htoo (the boy's dean) (pr. Nih kah too.)  From front row left: Ma Shwin Win (pr. "Ma Shway Way), Naw Ghaw, Than Than Aye (pr. Tha Tha Aye), Mo Mo Eh, Moo Koh Paw, P'Sah Paw (pr. more like "B'Sah Paw), Saw Ko Noh, Saw Plut, Jaw Htoo, Saw Eh So, Saw Ku Shee, Dee Aung Swey (pr. "Dee Aw Sway.)

Saw Eh So was having fun in the sand while he waited for the picture to be taken. ;)  This funny little guy really is a living miracle. You can read his story here:  http://missions.thesteckfamily.com/wp/sawehsoe/   He is one of many that have become very special to me. No, I am not his teacher, but every time I see him, I get a big grin and a, "Wah la ghay (Nee la ghay, hah la ghay, etc.), Teacher Very Tall." That is his personal nickname for me. ;)  He nearly always is smiling, and you can tell he loves Jesus very much. He is very involved in ministry and outreach here and anywhere he has the opportunity. If ever I have met someone in whom I saw Jesus, I would have to say it is Eh So. This guy is an encouragement and a joy. :) 
This is the view we had of the river. After playing in the sun for quite a while and getting hot, we cooled off in the river. A few boys swam to the other side and back, which made me quite nervous, but they made it all right. God is good! :)
P'Sah Paw and Tharamu Haley. :)  Isn't she so cute?
Mo Mo Eh and Tharamu Haley. :)



Tharamu Haley, K'Nyaw Paw, and Tharamu Hannah...



I know this picture isn't the best quality because I had to lighten it so much, but at least you can see us in action. I think we playing monkey in the middle in this picture. K'Nyaw Paw took it, I believe. :)
The last picture before returning to the school. There is a picture where they are all looking at the camera, but I like this one better. It shows more real smiles, as we were laughing about something. :)  We were quite tired, but we had a lot of fun! Being with the students is always so much fun and a big blessing. They have taught me more than I have taught them, I think.
Not quite a week after the monitor picnic, we went with grade 10 on a picnic to a stream. We went on a Sabbath after Sabbath School (Church is before Sabbath School here). We ate lunch first, then we walked upstream almost an hour. We walked on the road for part of the walk, and in or beside the stream for the rest of the time. It was refreshing, fun, beautiful, and a blessing. :)
I took this picture while walking on the road.
Another view from the road...
Walking up the stream...
Moo Koh Paw and Mo Mo Eh. I tell you, the classmates remind me of siblings. They love each other a lot, are very protective and are nice to each other - most of the time. The rest of the time they banter and hit each other. What can I say? They love each other, and they accept you right into their family. :)
We crossed the river multiple times, following the path.



We walked through a village...

And across a really cool bridge...


I think there were fish in the water...




A big "fish" jumped off this rock into the pool below to join the other fish. ;) hehe  Around here they call him "Thara Saw Di Yay."

The fish...


After hiking some more, we came to this place...





I think they were looking at fish? *laughs*



Mu Ti Lah, Tharamu Suh Pweh, Tharamu Paw Htoo Paw...

Moo Koh Paw being herself... ;)

This bridge was a little scary-looking, but it held them all up. ;)

Another "scary" bridge...

There was a school up there...


And we headed back...downhill...

And uphill...


Mo Mo Eh, Thara Japae, Myint Tay...

Some villagers we saw on the way back...

All of grade 10 on the bridge...


 

When we got back to the creek, we had an AY program.

Tah Aye Paw and Mo Mo Eh lead out.

We had special musics...

And a recitation of the ten commandments... in English.

Saw Di Di shared a Bible verse... It might have been the fruits of the Spirit. I don't remember exactly.

Moo Koh Paw shared a testimony, with Tharamu Hannah translating into English.

And then Tharamu Hannah translated Tharamu Jonalyn's story into Karen.

And then Thara Saw Di Yay's short worship talk into English. :)  (Yes, we keep her quite busy around here with translating. Not to mention the million other things she does. This is one BIG blessing you see here.) :)


Be looking for part two! :) 




1 comment:

  1. 10 Commandments in English? Was this Tharamu Marie's doing? That's impressive!

    Oh, yes, Tharamu Hannah is quite irreplaceable -- a treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete